Thursday 19 August 2010

(500) Films of Empire - Day 338

90 - When Harry Met Sally - 5 stars
Will I be starting a mass debate (he he) by stating that in my opinion, When Harry Met Sally is THE best romantic comedy of all time?
Let me list ten reasons why I am correct:
1. This is Billy Crystal's best performance outside of an Oscar ceremony.
2. A lot of the conversations are honest and based on issues and conversations that many couples have had i.e. "can men and women really be friends?"
3. The opening credits are the same font as the one that Woody Allen uses in all his films. In fact, this is the best Woody Allen film that Woody Allen never made.
4. "Don't fuck with Mr Zero". This is one of the sharpest scenes I've seen in a comedy. It's the timing of the lines to the mexican waves, Crystal's delivery and a kicker of a punch line.
5. Meg Ryan is actually cute and lovable in this film. Not the cold fish-lipped woman she has become these days i.e. her appearance on Parkinson.
6. The sweet interviews with the old couples that break up the film into chapters. Ain't they adorable.
7. Carrie Fisher in a great role that isn't in a Star Wars movie.
8. This film introduced me to Casablanca, now one of my all-time favourite films.
9. "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
10. Oh, and Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm :)

Days remaining - 27 Films remaining - 28

No comments:

Post a Comment