Saturday 7 November 2009

(500) Films of Empire - Day 53 - F*ck me gently with a chainsaw!

412 - Heathers - 2 stars
Now I'm sure I'm going to ruffle a few feathers with this comment... but I preferred Mean Girls to Heathers.  Now I know that may annoy some people but please remember that people's opinions of films depend greatly on when they watch them.  And I watched Heathers at a time, thanks to the internet and social networking sites, when teenage suicide was a serious matter, therefore my review is based on now, as all my reviews must be, rather than when it was first released.
It concerns Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder) and JD (Christian Slater) rebel against the popular clique of girls (all called Heather) by killing them and passing it off as teenage suicide.
It is an OK movie but I feel that Mean Girls did it better, with psychological bullying being much more powerful and long lasting than just killing them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment