Tuesday 29 June 2010

(500) Films of Empire - Day 287

134 - The Last Of The Mohicans - 3 stars
It me a long time to get into this film and I unsure why. Perhaps it was to do with a lack of direction in the storytelling, the central love story and rescue didn't become apparent until 40 minutes into the film; or perhaps it was with my irritance at Madeline Stowe's "Scottish" accent.
It could be the same in other places but when someone does a bad version of your accent, it does seem to grate quite a lot and can prove distracting. I don't understand why they didn't just make the Munro characters English instead as everyone in the film kept referring to the British as 'The English', which is also annoying for a Scot... just ask Malcolm Tucker in In The Loop!
Daniel Day-Lewis provides his usual level of intensity to the role of Hawkeye, yet this didn't seem like your typical Michael Mann film possibly due to the shorter duration (only 117 minutes) and lack of an iconic gun fight within the stylised city landscape.
The key moment in the film is Hawkeye's instructions to Cora:
"You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you."
This is a very romantic, powerful and much imitated line but I feel that it would have meant a lot more if Hawkeye had spent a year or so tracking them, but I got the sense that they caught up with them after a couple of hours or so. Would it have seemed so romantic if it was used just before you lost your girlfriend in a shopping centre... I think not.

Days remaining - 78 Films remaining - 78

No comments:

Post a Comment