Monday 28 September 2009

(500) Films Of Empire - Day 13

Another productive day at work enticing the students into the cinema with the promise of free membership to The Belmont, a local cinema for local people. It was extra busy, well busier than we normally are on a Monday, due to a local Bank Holiday Monday.
Once the rush had died down I had to make a round trip to Elgin and back to visit my grandmother in hospital after she had suffered a heart attack last week. Tough evening :(


433 - Good Will Hunting - 4 stars Movie before bedtime and picked up this one at random. Premiere called this one of the "top 20 over-rated movies of all time", but if you look at the list a lot of them were marketed by Miramax and Harvey W, so it might be a backlash against his aggressive, over-hyping Oscar campaigns (which you have to admit, have normally achieved a high return of little gold statues).
An Oscar baiting film for sure but it's on the list for a reason, not least for the great chemistry between childhood friends and writers Damon and Affleck, and Williams proving he is great at doing the quiet stuff as well as the over-the-top crazy stuff.
Some elements of the story may be considered slightly schmaltzy or hokey but if I won an Oscar for my first script, I don't think I'd be too worried about that!
Now how do you like them apples?

So what do you think the most overrated film of all time is?

1 comment:

  1. Most overrated film? I'm going to anger a lot of people here. Bladerunner. Sorry. I am generally a bit of a sci-fi geek, but I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete